Safaricom has made it possible and very easy to share internet data bundles with any other Safaricom subscriber using Safaricom’s Sambaza service. You can Sambaza as little as 5 MB of internet bundles and up to a maximum of 20 MB in 24 hours.
The Sambaza service is open to all Safaricom PrePay and PostPay subscribers. However, sambaza is not available to inactive, expired or deleted lines, and roaming subscribers.
Subscribers using corporate Safaricom lines can only receive data bundles transferred to them, but cannot be able to sambaza to other lines.
Sambaza Internet General Terms of Usage
- To sambaza internet bundles, you must have a data balance of at least 5Mbs on your line.
- You can only sambaza a minimum of 5 MB per session.
- You are allowed to send a maximum of 10 MB in one go.
- You can only sambaza up to 20 MB maximum in a day.
- You cannot sambaza more than 2 times in a day (24 hours).
- Data validity period will be that of the donor. If the person sent to has some data on the line, the validity taken will be that which is higher.
- You cannot transfer bonus (free) or promotional data bundles.
- Data sambaza cannot be reversed.
- You cannot sambaza daily data bundles.
- You cannot sambaza data more than 20 times in a month.
- You are not allowed to re-sale Safaricom’s data bundles without consent from Safaricom.
Disclaimer: These terms may vary at any time at Safaricom’s discretion.
How to Sambaza Internet Bundles
You can transfer Safaricom internet MBs in any of the following ways:
1. Dialing *456#
- Dial *456# on your Safaricom line
- Select the option Okoa/Sambaza/Please Call Me
- Next, select Sambaza Bundles
- Enter the Internet bundles to sambaza in MB, for example (5 if you want to transfer 5MB).
- Enter the phone number to sambaza to.
You can also access the Sambaza Bundles menu by dialing *100# (prepay) and selecting option 7: Products & Services.
2. Sambaza Data Bundles Through SMS
You can also sambaza internet bundles by drafting a text message in the format: Data bundle in MB*Phone number and send the message to 450.
For example 10*0700123456 if you want to transfer 10MB to a friend’s number like 0700123456.
3. Sambaza Internet Bundles Through Safaricom App
- Download and install the MySafaricom app from the Play Store
- After successful installation, run the app
- The app will take you to the Home Screen
- At the bottom of the screen select Account
- Next, tap on Sambaza menu
- Tap the option Sambaza Data. Your bundle type and balance will be displayed on the screen
- Enter the phone number you wish to transfer data to in the Phone Number textbox
- Enter bundles in the Bundles in MB textbox (min 5, max 10)
- Select either the option No Expiry or With Expiry depending on the data you want to sambaza
- Confirm the onscreen message by tapping on the SAMBAZA button.
All the above sambaza bundles methods are limited to 20 MB in a day.
If you want to share internet bundles of higher value without too many restrictions, you can use the *544# option to buy bundles with or without expiry for another phone number.
Here is how to buy bundles of any size for another number:
- Dial and call *544#
- Select either Data (EXPIRY) or Data (NO EXPIRY) option
- Select Buy For Other Number
- Now, Enter the Other Number
- Choose either 1: Enter the amount you wish to spend, to manually type the data in MB you want to buy, or any other choice depending on the bundles you wish to buy for the other number.
- Choose how to pay for the bundles, by Airtime or M-Pesa and send
Take note that you cannot buy or transfer bundles to a phone number that has Okoa Jahazi credit.
- How to Sambaza Safaricom Airtime to Another Number
- How to Become a Safaricom M-pesa Agent
- Safaricom Mpesa Paybill Charges
- KPLC Okoa Stima: How to Register and Get Tokens on Credit