Lipa Mdogo Mdogo is a Higher Purchase credit service that enables Safaricom subscribers to access 4G phones of their choice by paying a deposit and the rest of the amount in a flexible twelve months plan.
The initiative of Safaricom, in partnership with Google, allows 2G and 3G phone users to migrate to a 4G device by paying as little as Sh. 20 per day.
But currently, the first priority is given to those using 2G phones, popularly known as kabambe phones, before it trickles down to 3G phone users.
Once you register and subscribe to a financial plan, you will immediately be handed the phone. You can choose to pay once, daily, weekly or monthly, it’s up to you.
However, since this is Higher Purchase financing, you will end up paying more than the current cash price of the phone.
Safaricom Lipa Mdogo Mdogo Phones
Currently, Safaricom offers iTel, Techno and Neon Ray models on the Lipa Mdogo Mdogo plan.
Here are the Safaricom Lipa Mdogo Mdogo phone types, the deposit required and their daily installments:
- itel A24 phones: deposit Ksh 500 and pay Ksh. 20 daily
- Neon Ray Pro: the deposit is Ksh. 500, daily installment is Ksh. 20
- TECNO Spark 7: deposit Ksh. 3,000 and pay Ksh. 50 daily
- TECNO Camon 17: deposit Ksh. 5,000, pay Ksh. 80 daily
You can choose to pay daily, weekly or monthly.
Qualification for the Lipa Mdogo Mdogo Phones
- You should be above 18 years and less than 75 years old
- Your current smartphone should be 2G or 3G enabled
- You should not have defaulted on any loan including Fuliza, Okoa Jahazi and M-Shwari loan
- You should have a good credit score and not be listed on CRB
- You should be an active Safaricom customer for at least 1 year
How to Register for the Service
To enroll for Lipa Mdogo Mdogo on your Safaricom line:
- Dial *544#
- Select Option8: Lipa Mdogo
- Read and accept the terms of service
- Safaricom will send you an SMS informing you whether you are eligible or not
- If eligible, the SMS will show the smartphones available and their prices
- Pick a favourable phone from the list
- Make the required deposit with your M-Pesa
- Pick the phone at any Safaricom customer care shop near you
How to Pay for the Phone
You can manually pay for the phone by dialing *544*5# and selecting pay for yourself or another user.
You can also have Safaricom deduct the daily, weekly or monthly installments by scheduling the payments through *544*5#.
Safaricom will deduct automatically from your MPesa account and stop when the last installment is cleared.
If the money in your MPesa is not enough to deduct, you will receive an SMS requesting you to make a manual payment.
You cannot pay for these phones using the Fuliza overdraft service.
Lipa Mdogo Mdogo Offers
As an incentive to encourage subscribers to make daily payments, Safaricom will reward you with 100MB of free YouTube bundles whenever you pay consecutively for 7 days.
Upon purchasing the phone you qualify for 1 GB data bundles from the operator.
The phones on offer come with a warranty subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions.
What Happens if You Fail to Pay?
Safaricom will send you reminders 3 times daily to pay. For the daily installments subscribers, Safaricom will lock the device after 4 days, limiting its use.
After 7 days of default, you will not be able to access outgoing calls and SMS.
If you default for 30 days, you will be blacklisted and disqualified for further device loan facilities. Your details will also be forwarded to CRB.
What Happens if the Phone is Stolen?
You have to notify Safaricom, through Customer Care Contacts, immediately who will lock the device and attempt to recover it. However, you will continue paying the rest of the installments until cleared.