Safaricom has made it possible for you to send funds from your M-Pesa Kenya to other East Africa countries at no extra cost apart from the forex exchange charges.
The person receiving the funds will get the money in their country’s currency.
With M-Pesa Global East Africa, you can send and receive money from Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi.
You can send funds to these countries by dialing *840# or using the mySafaricom app from Ksh. 101 to a maximum of Ksh. 150,000 at once.
See also: Safaricom Mpesa Agent Commission Rates
First, you will need to opt in for M-Pesa global service by dialing *840# from your M-Pesa registered line and then do the following:
- Enter your physical location
- Accept terms and conditions to Opt in
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN
- After a short while, you will receive a notification welcoming you to M-Pesa Global services (if successful, otherwise repeat the steps).
See also: Send Money Anywhere Using M-Pesa to Western Union Service
How to Send Money East Africa Countries by USSD *840#
To send money to Burundi, MTN Uganda, MTN Rwanda, and Vodacom Tanzania follow these steps:
- Dial *840#
- Select Send Money Abroad
- Choose Send to Mobile number
- Select Country to Send Money to
- Enter the Recipient Mobile Number in International Format (eg 254xxxxxxxxxx…..)
- Enter the amount you wish to transfer (from KES. 101 to KES. 150,000)
- State Purpose of the funds
- State Source of the funds
- Confirm transaction details and charges
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN and Send
- You will receive M-Pesa SMS confirming your transaction.
Send Money to East Africa Countries through mySafaricom App
- Select M-Pesa from mySafaricom App
- Select M-Pesa Global
- Select Send to Mobile
- Select Country
- Enter recipient Phone Number
- Enter recipient’s details (Names and Address) and click Continue
- Enter Amount and select Source & Purpose of Funds and Send
- Check and confirm the transaction details and Send
- Complete by entering your M-Pesa PIN and clicking Send.
- You will receive a confirmation message for successful transaction.
How to Send Money from other East Africa Countries to Kenya
To receive money in Kenya from Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi, the sender in these countries can dial the following codes and follow through with instructions on their mobile phones:
- When in TZ dial *150*00# and then Select “Send money to MPESA Kenya” on your Vodacom line.
- When in Rwanda dial *830# to send money to Kenya from your MTN line.
- When in Uganda dial *165# to send money to Kenya from your MTN line.
See also: How to Join and Use M-Pesa Pochi la Biashara