Safaricom in conjunction with Thunes and PayPal have now made it possible for PayPal users in Kenya to withdraw money directly from their PayPal accounts to MPesa, and to deposit money into their PayPal accounts. But first, you need to link your PayPal wallet with your MPesa number. Here, I will show you how to link your PayPal account with your MPesa and perform a withdrawal from PayPal to MPesa.
Before we continue, take note that the funds in your PayPal account should be in US Dollars before withdrawing to MPesa. If you have different currencies, you can use PayPal’s Manage Currencies section to convert them to USD.
To use this service, you must register a PayPal account and have an active M-Pesa account. You will then need to link your PayPal account with MPesa.
How to Link MPesa Account with PayPal
- Go to PayPal mobile money website https://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa
- Log in to your PayPal account with your email address and password
- Accept the terms and conditions by clicking on Agree and Connect
- Enter your M-Pesa registered phone number and click Link your accounts
- Enter the confirmation code just sent to the number you are linking
- You have successfully linked your M-Pesa account to your PayPal account
Take note that you will be using the same link above to withdraw money from your PayPal account to MPesa and also to deposit to your PayPal account from the linked MPesa number.
How to Withdraw from PayPal to MPesa
To withdraw funds from your PayPal account to your linked MPesa account:
- Go to the PayPal mobile money website https://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa
- Log in with your email address and password
- Next, click on Withdraw. Your available balance will be displayed on the screen
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw, in USD within your balance
- You will be taken to a page displaying the amount you will receive in Kenya Shillings, and the exchange rate used for conversion
- Click Confirm to complete the withdrawal
- You will receive a notification from Safaricom indication the money transfer process has started
- You will receive another MPesa notification when the transfer completes
You will receive the funds within 2 hours and up to 3 days. Normal MPesa transaction charges will apply and the maximum amount you can withdraw is Ksh. 150,000 per transaction and Ksh. 300,000 per day.
You can also deposit money into your PayPal account in very simple steps.
How to Deposit Funds from M-Pesa to PayPal Account
To top up your PayPal account from your linked M-Pesa account:
- Log in to PayPal mobile money
- Click on the Menu icon (three bars) on the top right corner (on mobile)
- Select Top Up
- Enter the amount to top up in USD and click Calculate to get the equivalent amount in Ksh you should transfer
- Go to the M-Pesa menu and Select Lipa na M-Pesa
- Select Pay bill option
- Enter the Business number 800088
- Enter your linked phone number as Account Number
- enter the amount in Kenya Shillings
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN and complete the transaction
Customer Care Contacts
In case of any queries, you can reach Safaricom using the following contacts:
- Call 100 or 200.
- Call: +254 722 002100 for prepaid customers and +254 722 002200 for post-pay customers
- X (Formally Twitter): @Safaricom_Care and @SafaricomPLC
- Facebook: @SafaricomPLC
- Or visit any Safaricom shop