In 2016, the then salaries and remuneration commission did a job evaluation for teachers teaching in public schools in Kenya. This led to the Teachers Service Commission and the teachers’ unions signing a new CBA in which teachers’ salaries were enhanced and old job groups abolished. The TSC then introduced new job groups and designation codes for each category of teachers in primary and secondary schools.
In this article, you will find designation codes for primary and secondary schools and their new TSC scales and titles.
List of New and Abolished Teachers job groups
Under the new agreement, P1, which fell under group G, was scrapped off and replaced with grade B5. B5 is now the new entry grade for teachers in primary schools.
The entry grade for secondary schools is still C1 for diploma holders and C2 for degrees.
Other grades were restructured as shown below;
|Old Job Group||Current Grade|
Two new job groups, S and T were added which correspond to D4 and D5 respectively. The chief principal now falls under grade D4 in the current scales.
- How to Apply for TSC Duplicate Certificate
- How to Apply for TSC Number and Certificate, Requirements for Application
- TSC Requirements for Teachers, How to Become a Secondary School Teacher in Kenya
New TSC Titles and Scales for Primary and Secondary School Teachers
Here is a list of the new TSC designation codes, titles, and scales for primary school teachers and secondary school teachers in Kenya.
- Grade B5 (T-Scale 5) – Primary Educator II
- Grade C1(T-Scale 6) – Primary Teacher I, Secondary teacher II, and lecturer III
- Grade C2 (T-Scale 7) – Secondary Educator II, Senior Educator II, Lecturer II, and Special Need Education Educator (for primary schools)
- Grade C3 (T-Scale 8) – Secondary Educator I, Special Need Education Teacher I (for primary schools), Lecturer I, Senior Teacher I, and Special Need Education Educator II (for secondary schools)
- GradeC4 (T-Scale 9) – Senior Master IV, Special Need Education Senior Teacher (for primary schools), Senior Lecturer IV, Deputy Head Educator II and Special Need Education Teacher I (for secondary schools)
- GradeC5 (T-Scale 10) – Senior Master III, Deputy Principal IV, Senior Lecturer III, Deputy Head Teacher, Head Educator, and Curriculum Support Officer II.
- Grade D1(T-Scale 11) – Deputy Principal III, Senior Master II, Senior Lecturer II, Curriculum Support Officer I, and Senior Head Educator.
- Grade D2 (T-Scale 12) – Senior Master I and Deputy Principal II
- Grade D3 (T-Scale 13) – Deputy Principal I and Principals
- Grade D4 (T-Scale 14) – Senior Principals
- Grade D5 (T-Scale 15) – Chief Principals
- TSC AON Referral Hospitals
- Teachers AON Minet Medical Scheme Details
- List of TSC AON Maternity Hospitals for Teachers in Kenya, 2020
- How to Register for TSC AON Minet, Add Dependents and Check Details
List of Designation codes for Teachers Job Groups and Grades
Here is a list of some designation codes for teachers job scales;
- B5 – G99JE
- C1 – G99HF
- C2 – G99HG
- C3 – G99HH
- C5 – G99BL for secondary school administrators and G99EJ for Head Teacher II in primary schools
- D3- G99AN for deputy principals and principal I