Public universities in Kenya in early 2000 were only 6, serving the whole population of high school leavers. These were the University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Moi University, Egerton University, JKUAT, and Maseno Universities. Back then, only four percent of form four leavers were allowed to join public universities. This translated to about 10,000 students only. This cohort group was the top national cream who was supposed to have scored a minimum grade of B+ in their KNEC KCSE final exams.
Currently, this population has greatly increased with the demand for university degrees by Kenyans increasing by the day. These days, over 100,000 high school leavers with a minimum score of C+ qualify for undergraduate courses in Kenyan universities.
This number cannot be absorbed by public universities alone hence students who miss out chances in public universities get an opportunity in private universities.
Register through the Principal’s portal
At the end of KCSE exams every year, interested school leavers do their course applications through the KUCCPS portal. Only the school principals can access the portal at this time, hence students have to make their applications through their principals.
At around February or early March, the high school graduates are allowed to access the KUCCPS Student’s portal and make their course revisions or apply afresh, if they never applied before. They are given a week to make their applications.
When it comes to application, many students don’t know the difference between a university and a university college.
Also, universities enlisted on the KUCCPS website do not indicate the location of the universities. Therefore students have a hard time locating institutions of higher learning before making applications.
Difference between a University and a University College
A university is an institution of higher learning where students study for degrees, masters, and PhDs and academic research is done.
A university is granted a charter by the government before operating in Kenya. The charter gives authority to universities to offer certain courses and to confer degrees in these courses.
A university encompasses many schools or faculties each dealing with a set of academic disciplines. E.g school of pure and applied sciences offers courses touching on areas like sciences, biochemistry, analytical and industrial chemistry.
All universities in Kenya are regulated by the Commission for University Education (CUE).
A university college is a constituent of another university and only offering a limited number of undergraduate and graduate courses, along with diploma courses. A university college is a college permitted to offer degree courses.
Universities in Kenya are generally not permitted to offer diploma courses. Thus they set up their own colleges to offer diplomas.
That being said, let me present the list of public and private universities in Kenya together with their county of location.
Public Universities in Kenya
- The University of Nairobi – Nairobi County
- Moi University – Uasin Gishu
- Kenyatta University – Kiambu
- Egerton University – Nakuru
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology – Kiambu
- Maseno University – Kisumu
- Chuka University – Tharaka Nithi
- Dedan Kimathi University of Technology – Nyeri
- Kisii University – Kisii
- Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology – Kakamega
- Pwani University – Kilifi
- Technical University of Kenya – Nairobi County
- Maasai Mara University – Narok
- Meru University of Science and Technology – Meru
- Multimedia University of Kenya – Nairobi County
- South Eastern Kenya University – Kitui
- Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology – Siaya
- Laikipia University – Laikipia
- University of Kabianga – Kericho
- Karatina University – Nyeri
- University of Eldoret – Uasin Gishu
- Kibabii University – Bungoma
- Kirinyaga University – Kirinyaga
- Machakos University – Machakos
- Murang’a University of Technology – Murang’a
- Rongo University – Migori
- Taita Taveta University – Taita Taveta
- The Co-operative University of Kenya – Nairobi County
- University of Embu – Embu
- Garissa University – Garissa
Public University Colleges
- Alupe University College – Busia
- Kaimosi Friends University College – Vihiga
- Tom Mboya University College – Homa Bay
- Turkana University College – Turkana
- Bomet University College – Bomet
- Tharaka University College – Tharaka Nithi
Private Chartered Universities
- University of Eastern Africa – Uasin Gishu
- Catholic University of Eastern Africa – Nairobi County
- Daystar University – Machakos
- Scott Christian University – Machakos
- United States International University – Nairobi County
- Africa Nazarene University – Kajiado
- Kenya Methodist University – Meru
- St. Paul’s University – Kiambu
- Pan Africa Christian University – Nairobi County
- Kabarak University – Baringo
- Strathmore University – Nairobi County
- Africa International University – Nairobi County
- Kenya Highlands Evangelical University – Kericho
- Mount Kenya University – Kiambu
- Great Lakes University of Kisumu- Kisumu
- Adventist University of Africa – Kajiado
- KCA University – Nairobi County
- KAG – East University – Kajiado
Private University Colleges
- Tangaza University College – Nairobi County
- Marist International University College – Nairobi County
- Regina Pacis University College – Nairobi County
- Uzima University College – Kisumu
- Hekima University College – Nairobi County
Private Universities with Letters of Interim Authority
- Aga Khan University – Nairobi County
- Kiriri Women’s University of Science and Technology – Kiambu
- GRETSA University – Kiambu
- Presbyterian University of East Africa – Kiambu
- The East African University – Kajiado
- Management University of East Africa – Nairobi County
- Pioneer International University – Nairobi County
- Riara University – Nairobi County
- Umma University – Kajiado County
- International Leadership University – Nairobi County
- Zetech University – Kiambu
- Lukenya University – Machakos
- RAF International University – Nairobi County
- AMREF International University
We have reached the end. I hope this information will help you choose a certified and recognized university.