Before teaching in Kenyan schools, it is now mandatory for all teachers to register with the Teachers Service Commission so as to be given TSC numbers and a TSC certificate to conduct the teaching. This article presents ECDE TSC registration requirements for ECDE teachers wishing to teach in pre-primary schools in Kenya.
ECDE teachers need to get a TSC number and a TSC certificate before getting TSC ECDE teachers’ employment in public schools in Kenya.
From time to time, the county governments may advertise for ECDE teachers jobs in the counties. Consideration is given to ECDE teachers registered by the TSC.
ECDE TSC Number Registration Requirements
Those with degrees in ECDE must have attained a minimum mean grade C+ and above at KCSE level. The same applies to university diplomas, that is at least a C+ and in KCSE.
Diploma holders in ECDE from teachers training colleges must have attained at least a mean grade of C plain in KCSE and have acquired an ECDE certificate from KNEC.
For ECDE certificate holders, either of the following is required:
- A minimum mean grade of D+ in KCSE and an ECDE certificate from KNEC
- A minimum mean grade of D plain in KCSE and a KNEC proficiency certificate. You should also be having an ECDE certificate from KNEC
- At least CPE/KCPE certificate and an ECDE certificate from KNEC.
General Requirements for TSC Registration of Teachers
For Kenyan Citizens:
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- Passport photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- A duly filled GP 69 Medical Form
- Payment of a non-refundable registration fee of Kshs. 1055
The deposit is made to the TSC Registration Account: National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001. You can also use the Simple Banking option by using Lipa Na MPesa Business Number 625625.
- List of Registered Teachers Training Colleges in Kenya, Public and Private Teachers Training Colleges
- New TSC Score Sheet for Recruitment and Replacement, Employment Guidelines
- List of KMTC Diploma Courses, KMTC Courses Duration and Minimum Requirements
For Non-Kenyan Citizens:
- Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
- Academic and Professional Certificates awarded by an accredited foreign institution and must be equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in your country of origin
- A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct from your country of origin
- A vetting letter from the Ministry of Education in Kenya
- The prescribed nonrefundable registration fee of Kshs. 1055
All the required documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub County Director.