Tala mobile loan app is a very popular mobile lending platform present in Kenya, India, Mexico and the Philippines. So long as you have an ID card and are a regular MPesa user, you can get access to an unsecured loan from Tala.
You have the option of applying for a loan on the Tala Mobile app or through the SMS number 21991. Tala allows you to borrow up to a limit of Ksh. 50,000, depending on your borrowing history and credibility.
The first loan for new borrowers ranges between Ksh. 1,000 and Ksh. 5,000 which can double within two months.
How to Download Tala Loan App and Register
- Search for Tala App from the Play Store and install it
- Click Open and then Signup if you are new to Tala, otherwise press Sign in
- Enter your Mpesa registered phone number and press verify
- You will receive an SMS with a verification code
- The app will try to verify the phone number automatically (if it doesn’t catch the message, you can enter the OTP code manually)
- Choose your preferred PIN
- Tala will collect some information from you, including SMS, Mpesa messages, contacts and CRB listings, and income in order to gauge your loan credibility and credit score
- You are now registered on the Tala app.
How to Apply for a Loan from Tala Loan App
To apply for a Tala loan, follow these steps:
- Open the Tala app and enter your Tala PIN
- You have to grant Tala permission to Manage calls, access contacts, SMS and location
- Press on Apply Now button
- Answer the questions given carefully to help Tala determine your loan limit. Questions include loan usage, employment status, earnings, spending, additional income if any, money you owe friends, banks etc, and how you used your last Tala loan.
- On the last page, confirm your responses or edit accordingly then press on the Submit Application button
- If successful, Tala app will ask you to select your preferred loan amount
- Select how long you will take to repay the loan
- Select the number of times you want to be repaying the loan (once a week, twice a month or once a month)
- Click Continue to accept the loan
- Choose the best time to repay the loan (interest rates and charges are displayed along each term)
- Review your loan fees and payment schedule and click on the check box to agree to Tala terms and conditions
- Now, click ACCEPT
- Your loan will be deposited straight to your Mpesa account
Tala does not have a USSD code but you can also apply for a loan through the Tala SMS number 21991. You do this by drafting a text message about your Tala emergency loan and sending it to 21991.
You can also check your Tala loan balance by texting the word Balance to 21991.
There are no online forms to fill out to get a loan from Tala.
Tala Fees and Interest Rates
Tala loans interest rates range from 5% to 19% depending on how often you borrow from Tala and your repayment history.
Tala charges a flat service fee for each loan borrowed as indicated below:
- A 30-day loan carries a service fee from 7% up to 19%.
- A 21-day loan has a service fee as low as 5% and up to 14%.
- Some customers may qualify for additional loan terms and lower interest rates.
To maintain or even lower your loan fee and remain in good standing with Tala, it is advisable to repay your loan before the due date.
How to Repay Tala Loan Via MPesa Paybill
Tala loans can be repaid within periods between 7 days and 30 days. You can make a partial payment of your loan or repay at once so long as you clear it before the due date.
Take note that failure to repay your loan by the due date will attract a late fee of 8.0%, applied to your outstanding loan.
To repay your Tala loan through Lipa Na Mpesa, follow these steps:
- Open MPesa Menu
- Select Lipa Na M-Pesa
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter Tala Business number: 851900
- For the Account number, use your Tala registered MPesa number
- Enter the amount you have to repay (including interest charged)
- Enter your MPesa PIN
- Confirm your details and send
- You will receive an SMS from Tala confirming receipt of the money and whether your loan is fully paid.
In case you repay the loan and it does not reflect on the Tala app, you can look for the chat menu and send the M-Pesa transaction code to the support team.
You can also repay a loan for another Tala user. You do this by following the above process but entering the other person’s phone number, registered on Tala, as the account number instead.
Tala Loan App Contacts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/TalaKenya
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/talakenya
- SMS: Send help message line to 21991
- Website: https://tala.co.ke
You can also use the chat section on Tala App to submit your query.
- List of Mobile Loan Apps in Kenya and their Interest Rates
- How to Apply and Repay Zenka Loan Via App and USSD Code
- How to Apply for Timiza loan, Pay by Mpesa, and Interest Rates
- How to Apply for M-Shwari Loan, Repay, Save, and Interest Rates