Coast Institute of Technology (CIT) is a public TVET college offering a wide range of diploma, certificate and artisan courses in tourism and hospitality, engineering, ICT, business studies, building and construction, and applied sciences. CIT is situated in the Tsavo area, 2 km away from Voi town in Taita Taveta County.
The college has two campuses: Main Campus (which offers regular programmes and holiday classes) and Town Campus (which offers part-time programmes either as evening classes or Saturday classes)
Courses at the institution are examined by KNEC, NITA, CDACC, City & Guilds, and KASNEB.
Courses Offered at Coast Institute of Technology
- Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Sales & Marketing
- Diploma in Supplies Chain Management
- Diploma in Business Administration. (2yrs)
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Cooperative Management
- Diploma in Accountancy (2yrs)
- Diploma in Community Development /Social Work
- Diploma in Early Childhood Development (C plain & above)
- Diploma in Project Management
- Diploma in Building Engineering Technology
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology
- Diploma in Applied Biology (C– in Bio, D+ in math & chem)
- Diploma in Analytical Chemistry (C– in chem & D+ in math)
- Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (Power/ Telecom)
- Diploma in Automotive Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Plant Option)
- Diploma in Welding & Fabrication
- Diploma in Computer Studies
- Diploma in Information Communication Technology
- Diploma in Catering & Accommodation Management
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Management
- Diploma in Tourism Management
- Diploma in Tour Guiding Operations
- Certified Public Accountant CPA (1/2) (C+)
- Certified Procurement & Supply Professional CPSP-K
- Certified Human Resource Professionals- CHRP-K (C+)
- Certified Secretaries (C+)
- Accounts Technician Diploma
- Certificate in Accounting & Management Skills – CAMS (Mean grade D+)
- Business Secretarial Single & Group (Mean Grade D+)
Craft Certificate and Artisan Courses
- Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Certificate in Social Work
- Certificate in Sales and Marketing
- Certificate in Co-operative Management
- Certificate in Business Management
- Certificate in Supplies Chain Management
- Certificate in Clerical Operations
- Artisan Certificate in Storekeeping
- Certificate in Science Laboratory Technology (D+ in Chem and D plain in Maths)
- Craft Certificate in Building Construction Technology
- Craft Certificate in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (Power/ Telecom)
- Artisan Certificate In Electrical Installation
- Craft Certificate in Automotive Engineering
- Certificate in Welding & Fabrication
- Artisan Certificate in Motor Vehicle Mechanics
- Certificate in Tour Guiding
- Certificate in Languages – French (City & Guilds)
- Certificate in Catering & Accommodation Operations
- Certificate in Food & Beverage Production Sales Services
- Artisan Certificate in Food & Beverage
- Certificate in Information Technology
Short Courses at CIT
For Short Courses, admission is open to interested persons. Here are the short courses offered at CIT, and their duration:
- International Computer Driving License (ICDL) – 6months)
- Computer/ Phone Repair & Maintenance (3 months)
- Computer Networking 3 – 6 ( months)
- Video Production (3 – 6 months)
- Computer Packages (3 months)
- Hair Dressing & Beauty Therapy (Short course)
- Certificate in Solar Installation Technology T1 & T2 (NITA – 1 month)
- Human Resource Management Level 5 & 6
- Mechatronics Technology Level 5 & 6
- Electrical Installation Level 5 & 6
- Housekeeping & Accommodation Level 3 & 4
- Hair Dressing Level 5 & 6
- Soil Management Level 6
- Biotechnology Level 5
- ICT Technician Level 5 & 6
- Tourism & Travel Management Level 5
- Tourism Management Level 6
CIT Entry Requirements for all Courses
- Diploma: KCSE Mean Grade of C- and above or Pass in relevant Certificate. Take 3 years to finish.
- Certificate: KCSE Mean Grade of D (Plain) and above or Pass in relevant Artisan Certificate. Take 2 years to complete.
- Artisan Certificate: KCSE (below D-) or KCPE. Artisan courses take 1 year to complete.
- Short courses: open for interested applicants. Duration depends on the course itself.
KASNEB Courses Entry Requirements
KCSE mean grade of C+ for CPA / CPS, CPSP, CHRP or a pass in ATD final or Diploma in any trade. For CAMS you require a KCSE mean grade of C- for ATD and D+.
You can also have a look at all the KASNEB Courses and Exams Registration Requirements article.
How to Apply for CIT Courses Online
You can apply for diploma, certificate and artisan courses through the KUCCPS students portal and wait for placement before downloading the admission letter from the CIT website.
You can also apply directly for any course online through cit.jiunge.com application portal.
During application on the Jiunge system, you will be required to send copies of the following particulars for consideration to join the learning institution:
- National Identity Card
- Birth certificate
- Two passport-size photographs
- Leaving certificate
- KCSE & KCPE Result slip/Academic Certificates
Coast Institute of Technology Fee Structure
The total fee per year is Ksh. 56,420. You will pay Ksh. 31,360 for the first term, and the remaining Ksh 25,060 in term 2.
That is if you apply through the KUCCPs portal to qualify for the government’s TVET capitation of Ksh. 30,000.
The above fees do not include:
- Registration Fee – Ksh200
- Benevolent Fund – Ksh 250 every term
- Boarding fees of Ksh. 4,500 TERMLY
- Caution money – Kshs 500
- Students’ ID card – Kshs 300
- External exams bookings for KNEC and KASNEB.
You can apply for a TVET HELB loan of up to Ksh. 40,000 per year.
Coast Institute of Technology Contacts
Tel: 0412011393, 0202169229
P.O BOX 34-80300, VOI, TAITA- TAVETA
Physical Location: Tsavo area, 2 km away from Voi town, Taita Taveta County.
Student Portal: http://portal.cit.ac.ke/login/sign-in