Kenya Institute of Social Work and Community Development, KISWCD, is a private institution registered with the Ministry of Education and accredited by TVETA to offer certificate and diploma courses in areas like social work and community development, ICT, business management, health and nutrition, and disaster management.
KISWCD boasts drawing students from major NGOs, government departments, and the private sector.
The institution is affiliated to a number of international organizations and associations and is an examination Centre for major exam bodies which include KNEC, ICM UK, CDAAC, NITA, ABMA.
Diploma courses at KISWCD take 3 years while certificate courses take a period of 1 year to one and a half years to complete. Some diplomas take even a shorter time.
KISWCD is located at the Southern House, 2nd Floor, Off – Moi Avenue Opposite Meridian Hotel.
KISWCD Professional Counselling Courses
Kenya Institute of Social Work and Community Development offers professional diploma and certificate in counseling courses open to Community development workers, Welfare officers, Project managers, and fresh students.
Minimum qualifications are KCSE D or KCE Div. 2 or the equivalent for certificate in counselling courses.
Diploma in Counselling requires minimum qualifications of KCSE C- or equivalent, or a certificate in Community Development, Social Development, Social Work, Community Health, Counselling and Psychology.
Here is a list of counselling courses offered at KISWCD:
- Certificate in Counselling
- Certificate in Psychology
- Diploma in Chemical Dependency and Addictions
- Diploma in Disaster Management and Trauma Counselling
- Diploma in HIV Testing and Counselling in Community and Clinical Settings
- Diploma in Learning Institutions Guidance and Counselling
- Diploma in Marriage and Family Therapy Option
- Diploma in Special Needs and Disability Option
- Diploma in Spiritual Counselling
- Diploma in Child Adolescent Counselling Option
KISWCD Diploma in Information Technology
This course requires a minimum qualification of KCSE C- or KCE Div. 2 or the equivalent.
The course is divided into 3 modules, each complete in its nature;
- Module I will enable the trainee to become a computer operator with skills and knowledge in Operating Systems, Computer Application Packages, and Information Systems.
- Module II enables the trainee to become a Computer Programmer and System analyst with skills and knowledge in Entrepreneurship Education and relevant Mathematics.
- Module III is designed to produce a Systems Administrator with skills and knowledge to administer various Computer Networks and management of Human Resources.
For Diploma in information communication technology, KNEC option, you will require a minimum of KCSE C or its equivalent.
Social Work and Community Development Courses
Certificate courses in this category take one and a half years while diplomas take up to 3 years to complete.
- Certificate in Social Development
- Certificate in Community Development
- Certificate in Social Work and Welfare
- Certificate in Criminology
- Certificate in Community Development (KNEC/ABMA UK)
- Diploma in Social Work and Welfare (KNEC)
- Diploma in Gender and Women Empowerment (2 1/2 years)
- Diploma in Public Administration and Management
- Diploma in Criminology
- Diploma in Poverty, Relief and Sustainable Development
KISWCD Business Management Courses
Certificate courses require at least D+ in KCSE or KCE Div. 3 and at least D in English and Mathematics. Diploma courses require you to have passed a relevant craft certificate or a minimum qualification of KCSE C- or KCE Div. 2 or equivalent.
- Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Certificate in Business Management
- Certificate in Leadership Studies
- Certificate in Project Planning and Management
- Certificate in Logistics and Supplies Management
- Diploma in Business Management/Administration
- Diploma in Disaster Mitigation and Management
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Leadership Studies
- Diploma in Logistics and Supplies Management – KNEC
- Diploma in Management of CBOs and NGOs
- Diploma in Project Planning and Management
Community Health Courses
Certificate in Nutrition and Dietetics (KNEC) takes two and a half years to complete, while other certificate courses in this category take a year to finish.
- Certificate in Nutrition and Dietetics (KNEC)
- Certificate in Community Health
- Certificate in HIV/AIDS
- Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics (2 years)
- Diploma in Community Health and Development (1 and 1/2 years)
KISWCD Online Professional Training Courses
These are short term courses geared towards enabling people to improve their efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity in their workplace. Here is a list of KISWCD online professional short courses:
Leadership and Management Short Courses
- Effective Leadership Skills Development
- Trainers of Trainers /Facilitators skills
- Effective Management of Schools and Colleges
- Office Administration and Management Skills
- Strategic Planning and Management Skills
- Fleet / Transport Management
- Effective Coaching And Mentorship Skills
- Transformative Leadership And Management Skills
Development Short Courses
- Disaster Preparedness and Management Skills
- Social Research Skills
- Peace, Conflict Management and Reconciliation Skills
- First Aids Training and Emergency Management
- Community Resource Mobilization and Management
- Gender Mainstreaming for Development
- Community Nutrition Assessment Skills
- Community Capacity Building Skills
- Social Advocacy and Lobbying skills
- Social Entrepreneurship Skills
- Participatory Development Methods
- Water Sanitation And Hygiene (WASH) Management
- Effective NGOs/CBOs Management Skills
- Life Skills Training
- Child Care and Protection Skills
- Financial Management for NGOs/CBOs/FBOs
HIV/AIDS and Counselling Short Courses
- Trauma and Crisis Counseling
- Behavior Change and Communication in HIV/AIDS
- Counseling Skills Development
- HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Counseling and Support
- Drug and Substance Abuse, Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Combating Gender-Based Violence (GBV): Prevention and Response
Project Planning and Management Short Courses
- Project Management Skills
- Proposal Development, Writing and Presentation Skills
- Participatory Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects
- Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Project Risk Management Skills
- Effective Report Writing and Presentation Skills
Business Management Short Courses
- Business Startup Skills
- Customer Care and Communication Skills
- Business Skills and Development of Micro Enterprises
- Social Mobilization and Marketing Strategies
- Effective Communication and Presentation Skills
- Professional Public Relations skills
- Strategic Planning and Management Skills
- Logistics and Procurement Management Skills
- Book Keeping for Non-Accountants Skills
Human Resource Management Short Courses
- Occupational Health and Safety Training Skills
- Strategic Human Resource Management Skills
- Performance Contracting Management Skills
- Social Impact Assessment Skills
- Stress Management at the Work Place Skills
How to Register for Online Professional Training Courses
- Select a course to study from the list given
- Register by filling the PROFESSIONAL TRAINING APPLICATION FORM
- Make your payment of Kshs. 10,000 or 100 USD through MPESA Paybill No: 902601
- Account number is: Your Full Names.
You can also pay the fee through the Co-operative Bank of Kenya
Account Name: Kenya Institute of Social Work
Branch: Moi Avenue
Account No. 01120039917702
Ensure you have sent the transaction receipt/Reference number for recording and receipting purposes.
Once your payment has been received; KISWCD shall send you the following;
- Payment receipt
- Reading materials
- Course Assignments
Once you complete your assignments, you will then forward the same to the Course Coordinator for Assessment and Recommendation. A certificate will be issued to you immediately.
For help and other queries you can contact KISWCD as follows:
P.O. Box 57961 00200 NAIROBI
Tel: +254 713 844 333
Location: Southern House, 2nd Floor, Off – Moi Avenue Opposite Meridian Hotel.
You can also use this contact form to reach KISWCD.
You can check the current fee structure on KISWCD Website portal: www.kiswcd.co.ke
- KMTC Short Courses, Campus, Duration and Fees
- List of Courses Offered at KIPS Technical College
- List of Courses Offered at NIBS Technical College
- Kenya Red Cross Training Institute Courses, Requirements and Duration
- IAT Kenya Courses in Computer and Business, Requirements and Fee Structure