The National Health Insurance Fund, NHIF introduced what it calls the NHIF SUPA cover for the Kenyan population both in the formal and informal sectors and their families. In the Supa cover, you can pay Ksh. 500 per month which will cater for medical services for the principal member and beneficiaries. To access NHIF services in Kenya, the employer deducts 2% of their gross salary which is then handed to the national health insurer.
For people employed in formal sectors or public institutions, it is compulsory for them to pay a varying amount of money based on their gross salaries.
While it is compulsory for those in formal employment to remit their NHIF contributions, it is voluntary for any other person to do so.
See also: How to Register for Self Employed NHIF Membership in Kenya
NHIF Supa Cover Products and Services in Kenya
The NHIF Supa cover enlists both outpatient and inpatient services to its members and their declared beneficiaries across the country.
In general, NHIF medical scheme services include:
- Maternal care – Antenatal and Prenatal care and deliveries (Normal delivery and caesarian section)
- Reproductive health services: Family Planning
- Renal Dialysis
- Overseas treatment for specialized surgeries not available locally
- Rehabilitation for drugs and substance abuse
- All surgical procedures including transplants
- Emergency road evacuation services
- Radiology imaging services (X-rays, CT Scan, & MRI)
- Cancer Treatment
NHIF outpatient services in general entail consultation, laboratory and investigations, daycare procedures, drugs and dispensation, health education, wellness and counseling, physiotherapy services, immunization/vaccines as per the KEPI schedule, management of chronic ailments (HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Asthma, Hypertension, cancer), Treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, Radiology Services, Family planning/midwifery/ante/post-natal services, Physiotherapy Services, referral for specialized services.
The Supa cover outpatient services covered include:
Radiological services package
Cancer package/Oncology package
It Covers Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, and Brachytherapy for cervix and prostate cancer. For up to 10 sessions annually.
Renal Dialysis and Kidney Transplant package
It includes coverage of minor, major, and specialized surgeries.
NHIF Inpatient Services
Inpatient hospitals under the NHIF medical scheme are available in two contract categories:
A. Comprehensive Cover
B. Non-Comprehensive Cover
Enlists some faith-based and private hospitals. Members who choose to visit the hospitals in this category may be required to pay out of pocket for the services offered.
- How to Choose or Change NHIF Outpatient Facility Online or Using Phone USSD Code
- How to Register for Self Employed NHIF Membership in Kenya
- Teachers AON Minet Medical Scheme Details