The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) has made it easy for you and your members to select and enroll in an outpatient hospital. You can choose or change NHIF outpatient facility through one of the following three convenient methods:
- Utilizing the NHIF mobile USSD code *155#
- Visiting the NHIF Selfcare Website
- Downloading the NHIF mobile app, My NHIF.
This article explains the several methods you can use to select or change your NHIF hospital service provider.
How to Choose NHIF Outpatient Facility Using Phone USSD Code
You can select or change your NHIF outpatient hospital by dialing *155# on your mobile phone and following the given onscreen directions.
Changing NHIF hospital/facility is normally done quarterly for the Supa Cover; that is in the months of March, June, September, and December, and twice yearly for the civil servants.
- Dial *155# on your phone
- Select your language, English or Kiswahili
- Key in your ID number
- You will receive a message on your phone with an OTP (one time password) code
- Enter the OTP code and press Send
- From the pop-up screen that appears, select either Choose Out-Patient Facility or Change Out-Patient Facility, accordingly
- Select your dependent and search for the name of the hospital you want to register
- Continue with the on-screen directions and repeat the above step for all your dependents.
While using the NHIF USSD code *155# you may see the message “a valid mobile phone number does not exist on your NHIF account”
In this case, call the NHIF toll-free customer care number 080072060 or visit the nearest NHIF service point and request them to update your NHIF account with your current mobile phone number.
How to Choose or Change NHIF Outpatient Facility Using NHIF Online Selfcare
- Visit the NHIF Selfcare Website
- Key in your ID number and press Enter
- Enter the NHIF Web Selfcare One Time Password, OTP pin, just send to your phone
- Click Verify
- After successful login, you will be presented with a summary of your NHIF Member Data and the choice to select or change NHIF hospital for yourself or your dependents
- You may also click on the Facilities menu to load your data summary and dependents’
- To change the outpatient facility for a dependent, look for the option, Change Outpatient Facility, under each member’s details.
- Follow the steps through to select or choose a facility and county
Choose or Change NHIF Outpatient Facility Using NHIF Mobile App
- Download the My NHIF Self-care app from Google Play Store
- Tap on Other Services
- Enter your ID number
- Request for a One Time Password (OTP) pin
- Enter the pin sent to your mobile phone in order to get logged in
- Select either Choose Out-Patient Facility or Change Out-Patient Facility as you desire
- You will be presented with a screen with yourself and your dependents
- Tap on Change Outpatient Facility for the member you want to change
- On the next screen, type the name of the hospital you want then select your county
- Tap on your hospital choice
- Select Confirm on the onscreen pop-up message that appears
- Instructions for choosing NHIF facility for new members or dependents are similar, only this time you have to tap on Choose Outpatient facility, and follow through with instructions.
Remember you can only change NHIF outpatient facility quarterly, that is in March, June, September, and December.
If you are finding it hard to select a facility please bear in mind these NHIF policies.
You might also be interested in:
- List of NHIF Services in Kenya, NHIF Supa Cover Products and Services
- How to Register for Self Employed NHIF Membership in Kenya
- NITA Kenya Courses, Course Duration, Requirements and Fee Structure
- List of KMTC Diploma Courses, KMTC Courses Duration and Minimum Requirements