Railway Training Institute is one of the oldest training institutions in the East African region dating back to the colonial era. Railway Training Institute is a public TVET institution providing market-driven diploma and certificate courses in various industrial fields.
The institute has a main campus in South B Nairobi and a satellite campus; RTI Marine School, Kisumu.
Courses at Railway Training Institute are majorly examined by KNEC and NITA. Courses are offered on full time and part time basis (for selected courses).
Minimum Requirements for Courses at RTI
- Higher Diploma courses require a Diploma or Degree in a relevant discipline.
- Diploma in Business programs require KCSE mean grade of C- or a Certificate in a relevant discipline
- Diploma in Engineering requires KCSE mean grade of C- with passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English or a Certificate in a relevant discipline.
- Certificate Courses require KCSE mean grade of D plain or Certificate in a relevant discipline.
Railway Training Institute Courses Offered
Faculty of Engineering and Technology Courses
- Advanced Technician Diploma in Applied Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Advanced Technician Diploma in Building & Construction
- Certificate in Civil Engineering (D+)
- Certificate in Electrical Installation (Wireman) Grade III
- Certificate in Information Technology (IVQ)
- Certificate in Machine Turner
- Certificate in Motor Vehicle Systems
- Certificate in Plumbing (D+)
- Certificate in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
- Craft Certificate in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Power & Telecommunication)
- Craft Certificate in Information Technology
- Craft Certificate in Library, Archives & Information Studies
- Diploma in Archives & Record Management
- Diploma in Building Technology
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Computer & Software Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Power)
- Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Telecommunication)
- Diploma in Information Communication Technology
- Diploma in Library & Information Studies
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Automotive
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Plant)
- Diploma in Quantity Survey
- Diploma in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
- Diploma in Welding & Fabrication
- Higher Diploma in Electrical (Power) Engineering
- Higher Diploma in Electronic Engineering
- Higher Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering
- Certificate in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Diploma in Maintenance Technology
- Technical Diploma in Motor Vehicle Systems
- Technician Certificate in Applied Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Technician Certificate in Applied Telecommunication Systems
- Technician Diploma in Applied Telecommunication Systems
- Technician Diploma in Building & Construction
- Technician Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Plant)
- Technician Diploma in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
Faculty of Business and Logistics Courses
- Advanced Diploma in Logistics & Transport – Part-Time
- Certificate in Food & Beverage
- Certificate in Logistics & Transport Management
- Certificate in Tourism Management
- Craft Certificate in Accountancy
- Craft Certificate in Business Management
- Craft Certificate in Cooperative Management
- Craft Certificate in Food & Beverage Production & Sales Service
- Craft Certificate in Human Resource & Management
- Craft Certificate in Road Transport Management
- Craft Certificate in Social Work & Community Development
- Craft Certificate in Supply Chain Management
- Craft Certificate in Transport Management
- Diploma in Food & Beverage
- Diploma in Accountancy
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Cooperative Management
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Production & Sales
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Logistics & Transport
- Diploma in Road Transport Management
- Diploma in Sales & Marketing
- Diploma in Social Work & Community Development
- Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Tourism Management
- Diploma in Human Resources
- Diploma in Sales & Marketing Management
- Diploma in Travel, Tourism & Hospitality
- Diploma in Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Test Course
How to Apply for Courses at RTI
You can apply through KUCCPS for diploma and certificate courses listed by the Railway Training Institute on the KUCCPS students portal and wait for the placement of your desired course in the institution.
You can also apply for courses online on the RTI online course application portal by filling in the required information and making relevant application fees.
Payment instructions for M-Pesa paybill and bank deposits are given on the application page.
You will have to attach your academic documents and enter the bank or M-Pesa transaction code (for the application fees) before submitting the application form.
Railway Training Institute Fee Structure
For the current fee structure, check the RTI downloads page www.rti.ac.ke/media/downloads and download the newest intake fee and admission requirements document.
Those who apply and get placement to RTI through the KUCCPS students portal qualify for an automatic government TVETcapitation fee of Ksh. 30,000 per academic year.
You can also apply for TVET HELB loans of up to Ksh. 40,000 per year.
Railway Training Institute Contacts
Railway Training Institute, PO. Box 42226- 00100, GPO Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254 020 2378397
RTI Students portal: www.rti.ac.ke/student-portal