NHIF provides a number of platforms on which you can check your status and the details of your registered dependents. You can check whether your NHIf account is active or inactive through the NHIF app, the NHIF self care portal or through SMS. The SMS method is costlier than other methods since each SMS costs 20 shillings.
You can use the same methods to check whether you have any penalties placed on your NHIF account.
How to Check NHIF Account Status
Through the Self-Care Online Portal
Follow these steps to log into the NHIF self-care portal:
- Follow the link: selfcare.nhif.or.ke
- If you don’t have an account on the portal click on Register and follow through with the registration process
- To log in, enter your ID Number
- Click on the Get One Time Pin button
- Next, enter the OTP code sent to your phone number registered with NHIF
- You’re now logged in
- You will be presented with a dashboard showing number of your dependants, penalties and arrears if any, and last contribution made.
By Sending an SMS
You can also check your NHIF account status through SMS. To get your account status via SMS:
- Start a new SMSmessage
- Type your national ID number, or of the person you want to check
- Send to 21101
- You will get a text reply with NHIF member number, status of the contribution, the hospital chosen and last contribution date.
The SMS costs 20 shillings each.
Through USSD Code *155#
This method attracts charges. Follow these steps to view your status:
- Dial *155# and select desired language
- Select option 1: National Health Scheme
- Enter your ID number
- Enter the OTP code sent to you by SMS
- Select option 6: My Status
- You will see your membership number, status of your contribution, hospital chosen and whether or not you are covered.
Using the NHIF App
- Search and install the My NHIF App from the Google play store or Apple’s App Store
- Open the app and enter your initial registration details
- Tap on the menu, Other Services
- Enter your National ID number and Request OTP
- Allow the app to capture the OTP code automatically
- You are now logged in
- Tap on Payment & Status
- You will see your last pay, penalties if any, arrears if any, and the current status of your contribution.
This method carries no charges.