Certified Public Accountants (CPA) KASNEB course is ideal for students who wish to qualify and practice as professional accountants, auditors, finance managers, tax managers and consultants in related areas in both public and private sectors. KASNEB revised the CPA syllabus in 2021.
Assessment for CPA is conducted in a variety of ways, including examinations, practical papers, workshops attendance and practical experience.
You can study for CPA courses at any of the KASNEB accredited institutions countrywide.
CPA graduates will gain knowledge and skills in the following areas, among other competencies:
- Prepare accounts and financial statements including for complex entities in both the private and public sectors.
- Use computerized accounting systems.
- Practically apply data analytical tools to analyze data and reach conclusions.
- Undertake audit and assurance services.
- Apply advanced financial management skills to evaluate various financial aspects of a business for decision making.
- Prepare management accounts.
- Apply leadership and management skills in practice to manage teams and achieve results.
KASNEB CPA Course Structure and Syllabus
CPA students will be exposed to 17 examination papers plus Internship and Ethics Workshops.
You can download the full revised CPA Syllabus in PDF form at the end of this article.
The course outline for each of the three CPA levels is summarized below:
1. Foundation Level
- Financial Accounting
- Communication Skills
- Introduction to Law and Governance Economics
- Quantitative Analysis
- Information Communication Technology
2. Intermediate Level
- Company Law
- Financial Management
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Auditing and Assurance
- Management Accounting
- Public Finance and Taxation
3. Advanced Level
a) Compulsory papers
- Leadership and Management
- Advanced Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Advanced Financial Management
b) Specialisation papers (One to be selected, double specialization allowed)
- Advanced Taxation
- Advanced Auditing and Assurance
- Advanced Management Accounting
- Advanced Public Financial Management
- Business Data Analytics (Practical Paper)
In addition to the above papers, prior to certification, candidates will be required to:
- Attend workshops on ethics, soft skills and emerging issues organized by KASNEB and ICPAKand earn IPD hours.
- Obtain 1-year practical experience, or alternatively attend workshops on work-based simulation organized by KASEB and ICPAK.
Click to view or download the revised KASNEB CPA Syllabus pdf.