When you are just starting out with the education course in Kenya you might be a bit confused as to what subjects combination in education you should take. This article will guide you through some of the TSC marketable subject combination in Kenya today.
Every year, the Teachers Service Commission publishes an advert for replacement of teachers who have exited the teaching service, may be through retirement or natural attrition.
Also, the government may time to time provides funds to the TSC to recruit teachers under what is called the mass recruitment of teachers exercise.
The terms of recruitment can be permanent and pensionable, and sometimes on a contract basis. Teachers who serve on the contract basis are normally given priority in interviews when teacher jobs on a permanent basis are announced.
Before enrolling for any secondary school education, you must have scored a mean grade of at least C+ in KCSE, and C+ in the two subject combinations you wish to pursue.
We have gone through the TSC teacher adverts and taken note of the most marketable subject combinations, which are normally presented to the commission by the respective secondary schools.
It is worth noting that getting a teaching job with the TSC depends on three factors;
- Subject combination
- Length of stay after graduation and
- Willingness to work in any part of the country
Most Marketable Subject Combination for Secondary School Teachers in Kenya
On the top of the list of marketable subjects in education are the following combinations;
- Biology and Chemistry
- Mathematics and Physics
- Physics and Chemistry
- Mathematics and Chemistry
- English and Literature
- Biology and Agriculture
- Computer/Mathematics or Computer and any other combination
- IRE and any combination e.g History
These subject combinations are appearing quite often in the TSC list of post-primary school teacher vacancies.
Other common subject combination in Kenya include;
- Kiswahili and CRE
- Kiswahili and History
- Kiswahili and Geography
- History and CRE
- History and Geography
- Geography and CRE
- Mathematics and Biology
- Mathematics and Geography
There is a rare combination, Business/Geography, which has started to come up, but currently few schools are filing for vacancies in this category.
- List of Registered Teachers Training Colleges in Kenya, Public and Private Teachers Training Colleges
- Teachers Basic Salary in Kenya and the New TSC Grading System 2017 – 2021
- TSC Allowances per Job Group, How House Allowance Vary by Region in Kenya
- Diploma Courses, Certificate and Short Courses Offered at KCA University
- List of Courses Offered at Kenya Water Institute
- IAT Kenya Courses in Computer and Business, Requirements and Fee Structure
- NITA Kenya Courses, Course Duration, Requirements and Fee Structure
- List of KMTC Diploma Courses, KMTC Courses Duration and Minimum Requirements